Saturday, April 14, 2012

Happy Cinnamon Rolls.

I have had several request for my cinnamon rolls recipe so I decided it would just be easier to post it here.


Now I have to say, I have tried many  different recipes and I have found this one to be the easiest.
I am not sure where I got this particular recipe, it is either from Foodtv.com or Tastykitchen.com, both favorites of mine.


1 quart whole milk (4 cups)
1 cup Vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 packages active dry yeast
8 cups (plus 1 cup extra separated) All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
1 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Salt
Plenty of Melted Butter
2 cups Sugar ( I mix white and brown)
Lots of Cinnamon

For the dough, heat the milk, vegetable oil and sugar over medium heat to just below a boil. Set aside to cool to warm. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let sit on the milk for about a minute. ( make sure you let it cool to warm)

Add 8 cups of flour, stir until combined and cover with towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour.
After 1 hour add baking powder, baking soda and salt and the remaining 1 cup of flour. Stir to combine.
Preheat the oven to 375
Remove half the dough from bowl, place on floured baking surface and roll the dough into a large rectangle, about 30x10.  Very thin.
Now pour about 1 stick of melted butter over the surface of the dough and spread evenly with your fingers. Next I pour 2 cups of the mixed sugars and sprinkle with lots of cinnamon. Spread evenly around dough. ( I like lots of cinnamon but you can add more or less depending on your taste.  If you like it real gooey add more butter and sugar.)
Now roll dough working slowly and keeping it tight. Once you have it in a log cut in half.  I then take a sharp knife and cut 6- 1/2 inch slices and place them in a buttered baking dish. Do not over crowd the sliced rolls.
Once you have finished doing this with all of the dough, cover sliced rolls and let rest for 20 minutes.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes till golden brown.
Now you can either serve them with soften butter or make a glaze.

I make a glaze with a stick of soften butter and several cups of powdered sugar, I just keep adding it until I have the consistency I like and than I add a Tablespoon of Vanilla.
We have a long history of cinnamon rolls in our family, my Mom made the best!
I have tried her recipe and mine never taste as good as hers did, so I decided to find my own recipe and I really like this one. 
 I think she would approve!



No comments:

Post a Comment