Friday, October 26, 2012

Fall soup kinda day.

Today reminded me of a typical fall day back in Illinois.
 As a child, as soon as the weather changed my Mom would make a big pot of homemade soup.
So today I decided to channel my Mom and make soup.
I wanted to create a low fat healthy soup. I knew I had a head of cauliflower that needed to be used so I decided to try something with that.
We love roasted cauliflower so I roasted my veggies first.
 
I chopped a head of cauliflower, 6 loves of garlic and one large onion. I brushed them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted them in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
I put 6 cups of low sodium, organic chicken broth in a pot and added my veggies. I simmer them on the stove for about an hour.
I added salt and pepper to taste and a large pinch of Thyme. Even though I had used roasted garlic cloves, I added two fresh cloves, roasted garlic has a sweet taste and I wanted a bigger taste of garlic.  
 I emulsified the broth and veggies to create a nice creamy texture.
When I tasted the soup I felt it needed something to bring the flavor up so I added the zest of one lemon.
The soup was good but still needed a little something, somthing, so I decided to make a puree of roasted red peppers to drizzle into the soup.
It really did the trick.
 




 
I made homemade caramelized onion facaccia bread to go with soup.
Perfect accompaniment to the soup.
 
I did what I set out to do, make a low fat, healthy soup. You can easily change out the chicken broth and use vegetable broth.  I think a basil pesto would also taste good  instead of the roasted red pepper drizzle.
My husband approved, he had three bowls of soup.
 
I will share the onion facaccia on another post.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment