Monday, November 12, 2012

Farmers Market finds.

When most farmers markets are shutting down for the season ours in Arizona are just getting good again. Not much grows when it's 110 outside, besides who wants to walk around a farmers market when it's that hot!
I hit two markets this week, one in Scottsdale Thursday night and the other on Saturday in Gilbert. Saturday was a family event, Wally, Amanda and my Dad tagged along.
Wally found green chilies and asked if I would make him Chile Rellones.
I am always up for a food challenge and quite frankly tired of making the same old stuff.
So I googled Chile rellones to check out some recipes. I always take a recipe and make it my own and this one was no different.
First thing you have to do is remove the skin and seeds.
Have to be honest, not my favorite part.
 
 
Next I took a brick of Jack cheese and cut long strips, I carefully placed the strip of cheese in the center of the pepper and stuck them in the refrigerator while I made the batter.
For the batter I took two eggs and 1/4 cup of flour and whisked until smooth. I thought my batter was a little too thick so I added some chicken broth and salt.
You don't want your batter too thick, thinner that pancake batter is the best way for me to describe it. Now you could just use water but I had the broth out for my rice so I just used it.
Set my oil up in a large frying pan and started to dip my Chile's into the batter.
They didn't take long to fry up and surprisingly the cheese stayed in the pepper.
I served them with my version of Spanish rice and Wally wanted refried beans.

They were very good and easy to make.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment