Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Crumb Cake Experiment.

The other day I made homemade Blueberry Muffins with a Cinnamon crumb topping. They were such a huge hit, they got gobbled up before I could share a picture.
The cake part of the muffin was so moist I thought to myself, this is a great base that I could add any thing to it.
My husbands said to me, this crumb topping reminds me of the crumb cake I used to get in up state New York.
 
So of course I figured why not try and make a Crumb Cake Muffin.
I used the base recipe and added a great product I recently discovered at my favorite cake decorating supply house, ABC Cake Decorating here in Phoenix.
It's called Butter Vanilla. The ladies at this store call me the purest because I read every label and always tell them I don't want a bunch of chemicals and fake flavors. They assured me this was pure vanilla and butter extract and they also told me  that they can't keep it in stock.  They said people are adding it to all kinds of recipes  including pancake and waffle recipes.
 
 
Once I had the batter made I filled my pretty cupcake wrappers a 1/4 of the way full.
 
I just love these, I get them at Micheal's in the $1 bins, the only trouble is they are not lined so they don't stay so pretty once you bake in them.
 
Then I added a layer of the Cinnamon Crumb topping.
 


The I used the remainder of the batter to cover the crumb topping and then covered that  batter with the remaining crumb topping.
Into a 400 degree oven for 22 minutes.
 
I found the original recipe on AllRecipes.com
 
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
Add all the dry ingredients into mixer and mix together. Next use a liquid measuring cup  and add 1/3 oil, one egg and fill remainder of the cup with milk.
Add to dry ingredients and blend. Next not in the original recipe I added 1 1/2 teaspoon of the butter vanilla extract, however, you can just add vanilla.
Here are the ingredients for the crumb topping.
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cubed chilled butter
2 teaspoons Cinnamon.
 
I doubled it for the crumb muffins.

I pretty sure  my husband is going to love these.
 Note there is only 11 in this picture, the 12th one found a happy home in my belly!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment